Mastodon designing futures where nothing will occur

maandag 18 november 2013

De machine voelen

Locks are very, very cool. They're very elegant in their design, and they serve their purpose well. When using a lock on a door, I feel aware of the pins rising and falling against the key as if I'm running my finger under them instead of a key. When watching or manipulating a lever in action, I feel and am aware of the forces acting on it. When on an escalator, I feel the movement of the steps on the conveyor as if they're the notches up my spine, and the arm rest as the skin at the top of my upper arm and shoulder. Clocks are so delicate and minute in their design and visible movement I barely feel them tickle the hair on my arms. Robots that have the typical rectangular drive train feel like cars, just smaller. Ironically, robots that have been designed to look like/mimic human bodies are stranger to connect to, because their similarity to my already-existing limbs is confusing.

Een fascinerend interview met een Amerikaans meisje dat synesthetisch is met machines. Een verhaal dat elk sciencefiction hart sneller moet doen kloppen. Zoals ze het beschrijft is het geen onprettige ervaring. En het doet je meteen speculeren of het evolutionaire adaptatie is aan een omgeving die verzadigd is met technologie. Het kan natuurlijk de zoveelste hoax vormen, maar dan nog is de hele tekst een briljant kort sciencefictionverhaal.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten